Manual prescription authorization processing of FDA Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies (REMS) can place a significant burden on pharmacy staff, as well as open up the potential for patient medication safety risks. REMS Services from RelayHealth improve pharmacy compliance by reducing the number of common errors that can happen during normal prescription claims processing steps, such as:
- Visiting an external program for an authorization before dispensing a drug
- Manually recording an authorization number on the prescription hard copy.
- Reversing a manual authorization if a patient does not fill a prescription.
Improve your pharmacy’s FDA REMS compliance with no interruptions
REMS Services from RelayHealth, in collaboration with Studiomaca Specialty Health, helps retail pharmacies participate in various REMS programs for prescription drugs without disrupting pharmacist workflow. Before dispensing a drug under a REMS program, our REMS Services verify U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) requirements (for example, prescriber or pharmacy certification) in real time to ensure REMS compliance.
REMS Compliance services can help you:
- Reduce additional pharmacy compliance workload.
- Expand patient access to important drug therapies.
- Increase patient convenience, satisfaction, and medication adherence.
- Comply with new medications and approved drugs.
REMS Compliance services features include:
- Patient enrollment and verification
- Patient lab status validation
- Communication of lab results to the pharmacist and pharmacy
- Pharmacist prompts for providing patient counseling or medication guides for safer drug use and protecting patients
- Integration into existing pharmacist workflow—no software installation required in your pharmacy management system
- National Council for Prescription Drug Programs (NCPDP) telecommunications standards